Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A hearty, rib-sticking meal, this is a terrific way to cook any tough cut of meat. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinalry Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons other fat
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 lbs beef brisket
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 quarts sauerkraut
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Melt fat in a large pan and brown onion; reduce heat.
- Season meat with salt and pepper; add to pan.
- Add sauerkraut and cover with boiling water.
- Cook slowly for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Make dumplings; sift flour baking powder and salt together.
- Beat egg, add milk and stir into dry ingredients.
- Drop by spoonfuls into the hot sauerkraut and cover the pot tightly.
- Cook for 15 minutes without lifting the cover.