Prep 45 mins
Cook 29 mins
Make and share this Pennsylvania Dutch Apple Cheese Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups chopped peeled crisp-sweet apples (such as Gala, Golden Delicious, or Fuji)
- Preheat oven to 375°; grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Glaze-in a small saucepan, combine sugar, water, butter, lemon juice, and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Decrease heat and boil gently, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved; set aside.
- Muffins-in a food processor fitted with metal blade, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, and cheese.
- Pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal; transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and milk until well blended.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir until just blended; gently fold in apples.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes or until tops are just turning golden.
- Brush partially baked muffins with glaze.
- Return muffins to oven and bake for 9-12 minutes or until muffins are golden and a pick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool.