Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Made this today. Am posting it because my "good" computer blew up and I am using the old Win 98 to get buy until they send me a working reinstall disk. Easy adjustment for those who eat meat. Base was the hoppin' john recipe from Giant Christmas lite section back in 1999.
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups texmati and wild rice
- 14 1⁄2 ounces Italian tomatoes, diced
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup sugar snap pea, fresh
- pepper, to taste
- fat-free cheddar cheese, grated or soy cheese
- Soak the peas or quick soak. Cook the black eyed peas to the rice, NOT including the rice which is the second step for approx one hour.
- Adjust the water if needed to keep the peas covered. Drain, remove the bay leaf. Set aside.
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Then combine the peas with them and mix gently. add the rest of the ingredients except the cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for until the peas are done or cook them first and add and then simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot with cheese on top.
- Note: If you eat meat add a bit of pork or ham.
Delicious even without the cheese on top - I forgot to add it, darn. I cooked the black-eyed peas and rice separately and then combined and served them. Not sure how that second simmer of 10-15 minutes is accomplished since I had no liquid left after draining the peas as directed.