Recipe by Gingerbear
This is another delicious recipe from Pennington's which is a wonderful restaurant in Tulsa that closed down a long time ago. You could also add nuts to this recipe if you like chopped nuts in your carrot cake.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup shredded carrot (2 medium)
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325°.
- In a 3-quart mixing bowl, beat all cake ingredients at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour into greased 6 cup cake pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool upright in pan for 5 minutes; remove from pan.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in sugar and cornstarch; add remaining sauce ingredients.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce comes to a boil.
- Boil for one minute.
- Pour 1/3 of the sauce over the cake.
- Serve additional warm sauce with cake.