1 hr 20 mins
Out of Reader's Digest
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium cauliflower (about 2 lbs)
- 1/4 oil oil
- 1 medium white onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- sea salt (Maldon or flaky sea salt)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
- 6 tablespoons unsaleted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- kosher salt
- 1 lb penne
- 3/4 cup fresh grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1/2 cup coarse fresh breadcrumb, sauteed until golden brown
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 11. Halve cauliflower. Remove leaves and cut out core and reserve. Cut cauliflower into small bite-size florets, reserving stalks. Chop core, leaves and stalks.
- 22. Combine oil, onion, garlic, and cauliflower core, leaves, and stalks in large pot, season with sea salt, and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until leaves are just beginning to wilt, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until leaves are just tender, 18-20 minutes.
- 33. Add cauliflower florets, red pepper flakes, and 1 cup water and bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to gently simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is almost falling apart, 22-25 minutes. Add butter, stirring gently until it melts; season well with sea salt. Remove from heat.
- 44. Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in large pot and add 3 tablespoons kosher salt. Drop pasta and cook until just al dente.
- 55. Drain pasta, reserrving about 2/3 cup pasta water. Add pasta and 1/3 cup reserved water to ragu. Toss over medium heat until pasta is well coated (add more pasta water to thin sauce). Stir in cheese.
- 66. Transfer pasta to serving bowl, sprinkle with bread crumbs and rosemary, and serve with additional grated cheese.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pennette With Cauliflower Ragu
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 483.7
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 37.7 mg
- Sodium 349.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 12.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: