Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I got the idea for this recipe from a can of S&W Ready-Cut Diced Tomatoes with Onion and Bell Pepper. The recipe calls for crumbled sausage but my husband and I like our sausage sliced over pasta. It also calls for the pasta to be cooked in the skillet but I cook mine separately and added it to the sauce just before serving. Turned out delicious
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 Italian sausages
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 cup of sliced zucchini
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansof s&w ready-cut diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces cooked penne pasta
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat a heavy skillet, preferably cast iron over medium to high heat.
- Add the Olive Oil and Italian Sausage.
- Brown Sausage for 5 minutes on each side.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water to the skillet, cover with foil and place in oven.
- Cook for 35 minutes or until sausage is cooked.
- While the sausage cooks heat a large skillet and add the chopped onion, garlic and Zuchinni.
- Cook until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and oregano.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 20 minutes or until the sauce is slightly thickned.
- You may add some pasta water if the sauce gets to thick.
- Remove sauce from heat.
- Season with pepper to taste and add the cooked pasta and toss.
- Cover the pan and let sit a few minutes.
- Slice the sausage and mix with pasta.
- Serve with Grated Romano Cheese.