1 hr 20 mins
Adapted from Madhur Jaffery's World Vegetarian. This makes a nice veggie lunch. Tuscan home cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 small-medium zucchini (about 14 ounces)
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into fine half-rings
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 30 fresh basil leaves, torn in pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped (or torn)
- 1 lb penne
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 -6 tablespoons freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then cut them crosswise in 1/4 inch thick slices.
- 2Place zucchini slices in a bowl; add 1 teaspoon salt; toss and set aside for 30 minutes.
- 3Drain thoroughly and pat dry.
- 4Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion and stir/saute for 5 minutes (don't let onion get brown).
- 5Add in the zucchini and stir/saute for another 5 minutes or until soft.
- 6Adjust seasoning with salt to taste.
- 7Add in stock; stir once or twice, then turn off the heat.
- 8Add in basil and mint leaves; toss to combine (leave in a warm spot).
- 9In a big pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil.
- 10Add 1 1/2 tablespoons salt.
- 11Add in the penne and stir.
- 12Boil pasta until al dente; drain in a collander.
- 13Transfer the hot pasta to a large serving bowl; add the zucchini mixture, pepper, and cheese; toss to mix and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Zucchini and Basil
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 613.4
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 105.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.8 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 12.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: