Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Madhur Jaffery's World Vegetarian. This makes a nice veggie lunch. Tuscan home cooking.
- 3 -4 small-medium zucchini (about 14 ounces)
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into fine half-rings
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable stock
- 30 fresh basil leaves, torn in pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped (or torn)
- 1 lb penne
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 -6 tablespoons freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then cut them crosswise in 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place zucchini slices in a bowl; add 1 teaspoon salt; toss and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly and pat dry.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion and stir/saute for 5 minutes (don't let onion get brown).
- Add in the zucchini and stir/saute for another 5 minutes or until soft.
- Adjust seasoning with salt to taste.
- Add in stock; stir once or twice, then turn off the heat.
- Add in basil and mint leaves; toss to combine (leave in a warm spot).
- In a big pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons salt.
- Add in the penne and stir.
- Boil pasta until al dente; drain in a collander.
- Transfer the hot pasta to a large serving bowl; add the zucchini mixture, pepper, and cheese; toss to mix and serve immediately.
This is a good base recipe or good if you have really fresh summer vegetables. My household likes more seasoning and spicy flavor so I added garlic, extra black pepper and crushed red pepper when I was heating the oil. It made the zucchini taste amazing!