1 hr 15 mins
A recipe presented at the 7th annual Kohler Food & Wine Experience (October, 2007) by chef Leah Caplan of The Washington Island Hotel, Restaurant & Culinary School - Washington Island, Wisconsin. A very comforting seasonal pasta dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 cups leeks, thinly sliced-white and light green parts only
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, whole peeled
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup vodka (Chef Caplan used "Death's Door Vodka")
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups winter squash, peeled, seeded and diced (butternut, red kuri, Long Island cheese, kabocha, or blue hubbard)
- 5 cups water
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons sage, minced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- stravecchio cheese, grated (Chef Caplan used Antigo Stravecchio, but you may substitute other fine aged local artisanal cheese)
- 1In a large sauce pot, combine leeks, olive oil, garlic, and sea salt.
- 2Cook over medium heat until leeks are very tender and translucent and garlic is soft enough to be easily mashed with a wooden spoon (reduce heat if necessary - do NOT brown!) This will take about 10-15 minutes.
- 3Turn heat to high and add the vodka and crushed red pepper flakes.
- 4Reduce the vodka until there is just a thin layer of liquid in the pan and a nice aroma in the air.
- 5Add the squash (the smaller the dice, the quicker it will cook), the water, and rosemary or sage.
- 6Simmer 10-20 minutes, adding water if necessary until the squash is soft enough to mash with a wooden spoon or potato masher to create a slightly chunky sauce.
- 7In the meantime, cook 1 pound dried penne pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until almost tender.
- 8Scoop the pasta into the sauce pot, adding some of the pasta cooking liquid as needed to maintain the sauce consistency.
- 9Season with drizzled olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- 10Stir in the diced mozzarella.
- 11Serve with grated Stravecchio cheese.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Vodka Pumpkin Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 788.2
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 33.1 mg
- Sodium 868.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.2 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 19.7 g