Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is a 30 minute meal from Rachael Ray. Feel free to add meat to this recipe. I recently made it with pounded chicken breasts breaded in breadcrumbs, shaved parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. I baked the chicken at 350F until done.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (32 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- coarse salt and pepper
- 16 ounces penne rigate or 16 ounces other pastas
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 20 leaves fresh basil, torn
- Heat large skillet over moderate heat. Add oil, butter, garlic and shallots. Gently saute shallots for 3-5 minutes. Add vodka to the pan. Reduce vodka by half, about 2-3 minutes. Add chicken stock and tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer. Season to taste with coarse salt and pepper.
- While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked al dente.
- Stir cream into sauce. When sauce bubbles, remove it from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves.