Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy and elegant main-dish. Don't hesitate to add the vodka. You won't taste it--it just melds the flavors.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons vodka (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne or 1 (16 ounce) package rotini pasta
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaf, thinly sliced
- In non-stick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook until garlic is golden, about 30 seconds longer.
- Stir in tomatoes with their puree, vodka if using, and salt; heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sauce has thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in cram and peas; heat to boiling.
- Meanwhile, in large sauce pot, cook pasta as label directs.
- In warm serving bowl, toss pasta with sauce and sprinkle with basil.
I made this for my hubby tonight, only I just made the sauce and put it on portabello mushroom ravioli. He loved it, and rated it 5 stars....served it with cheese garlic bread, and roasted asparagus and got rave reviews. Only bad thing is, now he's too full to do his chores--but I dont think that warrants a lesser rating =)...