Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Found in The Best Simple Recipes. Top pasta with grated parmesan for added flavor.
Make and share this Penne With Sun-Dried Tomato Vodka Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup vodka
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, rinsed, patted dry and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb penne or 1 lb fusilli
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in a large pot. Meanwhile, process half of tomatoes in food processor until smooth. Transfer to bowl. Stir in vodka and remaining tomatoes.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and sun-dried tomatoes and cook until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and italian seasoning and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato-vodka mixture and 1/2 teaspoon salt and simmer until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add cream and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, drain pasta, and return to pot. Add sauce and toss to combine, adding reserved pasta water as needed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Yum! I added an extra clove of garlic and used half/half in place of the cream. Made for New Kids on the Block Tag game. :)
this sauce was fantastic! We used it on pasta and later with meatballs. My boyfriend was obsessed and usually doesn't like things with cream. I too added more garlic (always!). Thanks!