Recipe by Kumquat the Cat's friend
My favorite recipe category: few ingredients, outstanding results! Delightful, healthful, quick and easy to prepare. I strongly recommend that you use only kalamata olives in this recipe. Otherwise I used 9 ounces bagged spinach, 6 ounces pasta myself, but published the recipe as written. From a cookbook called "The Best in the World" by Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. This particular recipe came from Au Bar (renamed Je Me Souviens) in Palm Beach, Florida.
Top Review by Inspiritual
This was a huge hit in my family as well. However, I added a whole pound of spinach, additional olives and a jar of sundried tomatoes with herbs because i too felt it needed a bit more sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted, sliced
- 1 lb fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large, non-stick skillet. Add onion and saute over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer to 20 minutes.
- Add sliced olives, chopped spinach and parsley. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a serving bowl. Add spinach mixture and toss gently. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately with parmesan on the side.
- For Vegan do not use the parmesan cheese.