Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I finally figured out what to do with those winter supermarket tomatoes - slow roast them and make this pasta!
- 3 -4 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 lb penne
- 5 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 -2 fresh mozzarella ball (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Drizzle some olive oil on a foil lined sheet pan.
- Quarter and seed the tomatoes and add to the sheet pan.
- Very thinly slice the garlic and red onion and add them to the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the basil over the top, drizzle on a little more olive oil, and toss with your hands to combine.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, boil the penne. (You want to time it so it's done about the same time as the tomatoes.).
- One minute before the pasta is done, add the spinach to the boiling water.
- Transfer the contents of the baking sheet to the bowl of a food processor. Add the optional mozarella, and puree.
- Drain the spinach / penne, and toss immediately with the tomato mixture.