1 hr 15 mins
I finally figured out what to do with those winter supermarket tomatoes - slow roast them and make this pasta!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- 2Drizzle some olive oil on a foil lined sheet pan.
- 3Quarter and seed the tomatoes and add to the sheet pan.
- 4Very thinly slice the garlic and red onion and add them to the tomatoes.
- 5Sprinkle the basil over the top, drizzle on a little more olive oil, and toss with your hands to combine.
- 6Bake for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 7Meanwhile, boil the penne. (You want to time it so it's done about the same time as the tomatoes.).
- 8One minute before the pasta is done, add the spinach to the boiling water.
- 9Transfer the contents of the baking sheet to the bowl of a food processor. Add the optional mozarella, and puree.
- 10Drain the spinach / penne, and toss immediately with the tomato mixture.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Spinach and Slow Roasted Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.4
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 37.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.8 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 10.6 g