Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
I found this on another website, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Hearty Italian sausage sauteed with garlic and red pepper flakes are simmered with tomatoes and cooked with vodka and cream to make a rich, spicy sauce. Toss with penne and fresh parsley to serve.
Top Review by Pancakee
Plate-licking good. I like my pasta saucy/goopy, so I used only 1/2-3/4 lb pasta. It was enough for 2 dinner servings and 2 lunch leftovers. I like spicy, so I cooked 1/2 lb of hot italian chicken sausage. When cooking garlic, I also sauted one small finely minced onion as well. Then added the red pepper flakes, with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 tsp oregano (probably could do 1/2 oregano). I used fat-free half and half and 4 tablespoons of vodka. I had no parsley, so used about 8 leaves of fresh chopped basil. Topped with a fistful of parmesan cheese, and mixed it all up. Penne is the best because all the meaty sauce gets stuck inside. This was the first time I've had penne alla vodka, and it was great! Thanks for the delicious dinner!
- 1 lb uncooked penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2-1 lb sweet Italian sausage
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente, drain.
- In large skillet, heat oil over moderate heat. Add sausage, breaking up the meat, until brown. Add garlic and red pepper and cook, stirring until garlic is golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add vodka and cream and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and add pasta, toss for 1 minute. Stir in fresh parsley and serve,.