Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is from Bon Appetit, March 1988.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, slightly crushed
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 lb penne pasta, freshly cooked
- parmesan cheese
- pepper, freshly ground
- Cook oil and garlic in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until garlic begins to sizzle.
- Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, 3/4 cup parsley and red pepper flakes, breaking up tomatoes with the back of a spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover partially and cook until tomatoes are thick and pulpy, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Discard garlic.
- Mix in remaining parsley.
- Pour sauce over pasta and toss well.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Great sauce! So easy and very flavorful. We like it extra spicy, so I upped the red pepper flakes. Thanks for sharing! Veg*n Swap 29
Delicious, easy, economical, attractive-love red and green together, and healthy! We found the crushed red pepper amount fine for us-not overkill. I reduced the oil to 1/6 cup and seemed fine. Thanks mersaydees for sharing. Made for Veggie Swap in July.
Very tasty pasta dish folks! I loved the bite from the peppers, just enough to make you take notice! Mixed with the cheese and other items in the recipe it made one delicious meal! I served it with some garlic toast fresh out of the oven. My friend requested that we make it again and double the recipe for when DD is here so we can try it out on her! Thank you for sharing this one with us Mersaydees! Made for Zaar Stars 4/09 Linda