Recipe by Boots_4_Walking
This is a very simple and delicious vegetarian recipe (if cheese is left out).
- 1 lb silver beet, stems cut from the leaves and the stems and leaves chopped separately
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 3 large garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup drained canned tomato, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb penne or 1⁄2 lb other tubular pasta
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus additional as an accompaniment
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and drain separately the Silverbeet stems and leaves.
- In a large heavy skillet cook the red pepper flakes and the garlic in the oil over moderate heat, stirring, until the garlic is pale golden.
- Add the stems and 1/4 cup of the water, and cook the mixture, covered, for 5 minutes, or until the stems are just tender.
- Add the leaves with the remaining 1/4 cup water and salt and pepper to taste and cook the mixture, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook the mixture, covered, for 3 minutes, or until the leaves are tender.
- While the silverbeet is cooking, in a kettle of salted boiling water boil the penne until it is al dente and drain it in a colander.
- In a large bowl toss the penne with the silverbeet mixture and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and serve it with the additional Parmesan.