Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Great as a family dinner, can be served as a side dish with Veal.
Make and share this Penne With Shrimp, Scallops, Bell Peppers and Sun-Dried Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb raw shrimp, deveined, peeled
- 1⁄2 lb sea scallops, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped, separate into two 1/4 cup piles
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon canola oil, flavoured with sun dried tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste, heaping
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Combine and heat both oils in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add peppers and saute until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer peppers to a bowl.
- Add sundried tomatoes, shrimp, scallops, 1/4 cup of basil, garlic and oregano to the same skillet and saute until the shrimp are just opaque in the centre, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer shrimp and scallop mixture to the bowl with peppers, cover and set aside.
- Add broth, wine and tomato paste to same skillet.
- Boil until sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- During the last minute add cream if you are using it, and let cook an extra minute or two.
- Meanwhile cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted, oiled water until tender, but still firm to bite.
- Drain; return pasta to same pot.
- Add contents of bowl, sauce, remaining 1/4 cup of basil and cheese to pasta.
- Toss over low heat until warmed through and sauce coats pasta.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
- Note: If all peppers are not available any combination will do.
- Shrimps and Scallops can be replaced with chicken.