Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great as a family dinner, can be served as a side dish with Veal.
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb raw shrimp, deveined, peeled
- 1⁄2 lb sea scallops, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped, separate into two 1/4 cup piles
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon canola oil, flavoured with sun dried tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste, heaping
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Combine and heat both oils in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add peppers and saute until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer peppers to a bowl.
- Add sundried tomatoes, shrimp, scallops, 1/4 cup of basil, garlic and oregano to the same skillet and saute until the shrimp are just opaque in the centre, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer shrimp and scallop mixture to the bowl with peppers, cover and set aside.
- Add broth, wine and tomato paste to same skillet.
- Boil until sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- During the last minute add cream if you are using it, and let cook an extra minute or two.
- Meanwhile cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted, oiled water until tender, but still firm to bite.
- Drain; return pasta to same pot.
- Add contents of bowl, sauce, remaining 1/4 cup of basil and cheese to pasta.
- Toss over low heat until warmed through and sauce coats pasta.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
- Note: If all peppers are not available any combination will do.
- Shrimps and Scallops can be replaced with chicken.
This was one of the greatest recipes I've ever made! I sauteed the peppers ten minutes longer than the recipe called for only because I like them softer. I also used the huge shrimp (alaskan or ?) Don't scrimp on the 2/3 cup heavy cream; it made all the difference! My boyfriend is very picky and he ate half the pot before he almost busted! This recipe could be sold in any restaurant! The sauce is incredible. It's definitely going to be the next thing I serve for company!
Love it. Easy to make as long as you cut ,measure and have everything ready before you start to cook. I used fat free sour cream instead of heavy cream. cooked noodles first as can be warmed again by running under hot water or in sauce. Was able to clean as I went with all of prep work done. Loved only needing two pans one for noodlles and the other for rest. I did add a full pound of each scallops and jumbo shrimp as we love our seafood. I will definately make again . Served with a salad and all came back for seconds.
I made this recipe for a crowd of 10. I omitted the peppers and used spinach instead. Everyone raved about the taste. It was a real crowd pleaser and I am going to make it again