Give it a try! Comfort Food! A lower fat version of Autumn Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage
Make and share this Penne With Sausage in Pumpkin Sauce. recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked al dente
- olive oil, to cover bottom of frying pan
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 lb sweet italian fennel sausage (crumbled and browned)
- 3 leaves sage, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or more to taste)
- 1 cup butternut squash, pureed or 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
- fresh sage leaf
- Over medium high heat, heat oil in frying pan, saute peppers, onions, garlic till translucent.
- Add brown sugar, and white wine simmer till reduced by 1/2.
- Add cooked sausage, sage leaves, spices, butternut, milk, chicken broth stir and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add pasta toss season with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes for a bit of heat.
- Garnish with sage leave and top with grated cheese if desired.