Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is an easy recipe with tons of flavor, rigatoni pasta can be used in place of penne. If you are using spicy sausages then omit the chili flakes. Try to use only high-quality canned tomato products, it will really make a huge difference in your sauce, no no-name brands for this! With this sauce (and any tomato-based sauce) it needs some time to cook, the longer you cook the sauce uncovered the thicker and richer it will be, you can even start it in the morning turn it off then continue cooking later, cook for even 2 hours!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausages (casings removed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 -3 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (use a tablespoon of tomato paste!)
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 2 (14 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes (drained and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup 18% table cream or 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- black pepper
- 1 lb uncooked penne pasta
- parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- Add in the sausage meat; cook breaking up with a spoon until the meat is lightly browned (about 12 minutes) using a slotted spoon remove to a bowl and leave some fat in the skillet.
- Add in the onion, chili flakes, basil and oregano; saute for about 5 minutes (adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking).
- Add in tomato paste and stir 1 minute.
- Add in the wine and simmer for 6-8 minutes over medium-low heat, or until it almost evaporates.
- Add in the cooked sausage meat along with the crushed and chopped drained tomatoes.
- Add in 1 tablespoon salt.
- Simmer uncovered for about 1-1/2 hours over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon occasionally.
- Season with more salt if desired and black pepper.
- Stir in the cream and heat through over low heat.
- Just before the sauce if finished cooking, cook the pasta in boiling salted water until just al dente (do not rinse the pasta with water).
- Serve the sauce with cooked pasta, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese on top.
This sauce was delicious!! We made it without the sausage (vegetarian style) and I felt the crushed red pepper was a bit spicy. We used only 1 heaping teaspoon. Next time, I'll cut back a little bit. Very flavorful and very good, though!!! We ate up the leftovers very quickly and my DH would like to have it again next week.
This is yummy. I used xtra garlic but followed the recipe otherwise. I do not understand the addition of the cream. Do tell Kittencal! It was not too creamy. I just can't get enough of your recipes Kittencal. Thx:)