Recipe by AmyZoe
This is a quick and delicious meal. I skipped the oil and found I didn't need to drain the sausage because it was a good sausage and didn't have a lot of grease. I also used homemade chicken broth from my freezer and skipped the salt (the chicken broth and sausage had plenty of flavor). I also added 3 to 4 cups of peas instead of a cup. Recipe courtesy of Family Circle, July 2010. Yum!
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces chicken sausage, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 16 ounces tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup peas, thawed if frozen
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling.
- Add pasta and cook as per package directions, 12 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook 3 minutes, turning a few times, until browned.
- Scoop out sausage with a slotted spoon onto a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the garlic.
- Cook 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and salt and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, peas, and browned sausage. Heat through.
- Place cooked pasta in a large bowl.
- Add sausage mixture and a tablespoon of Parmesan. Toss to combine.
- Top with remaining tablespoon Parmesan and serve warm.