Recipe by KelBel
Hearty ingredients load this quick Italian dinner with spicy, cheesy flavor. Adapted from epicurious.com
Top Review by Whitney H.
This was super delicious and fairly simple to make. I didn't have any sausage on hand, so I used chicken tenderloins instead and it was a perfect substitute. Any noodle choice will work- I'd skip long noodles like linguini or angel hair. I used farfalle noodles last time and plan on making this again tonight using different pasta again.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian turkey sausage, casings discarded and sausage crumbled
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb kale, tough stems and center ribs discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb penne
- 2⁄3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Add garlic, onion and sausage, breaking up any lumps with a spoon, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blanch kale in a 6-quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove kale with a large sieve and drain. Return cooking water in pot to a boil, then cook pasta in boiling water, uncovered, until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta-cooking water, then drain pasta in a colander.
- While pasta cooks, add kale to sausage in skillet and sauté, stirring frequently, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from bottom of skillet, then add pasta and 1/2 cup reserved cooking water to skillet, tossing until combined. Stir in cheese and thin with additional cooking water if desired.
- Serve immediately, with additional cheese on the side.