Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A healthy meatless pasta....But one everyone seems to enjoy it.
- 1 liter good chicken stock
- 350 g penne pasta
- 1⁄3 cup virgin olive oil
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, small dice
- 3 stalks celery, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 400 g canned lentils, drained
- Boil the chicken stock in a large saucepan for 10 minutes, or until it has reduced to 2 cups of liquid.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of rapidly boiling water until al dente.
- Drain and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large deep frying pan, add the carrot, onion and celery and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add two thirds of the crushed garlic and the thyme and cook for a further minute.
- Add the stock, and bring to boil and cook gently for 8 minutes, or until reduced slightly and the vegetables are tender.
- Gently add the lentils and stir until heated through.
- Stir in the remaining garlic and a little extra thyme, and season with plenty of cracked black pepper and sea salt.
- The stock should be slightly syrupy at this point.
- Combine the pasta with the lentil sauce in a large bowl, drizzle generously with olive oil and serve with grated parmesan if liked.
This is indeed a great recipe,one that we will enjoy many times over. Great flavor and presentation. I did use colored pasta as that is what I had. Other than that I made no changes. Thanks Stardustanni for a great recipe.
This dish was so delicious! Everyone in my house loved it! I kept saying how good the combination is and how it's something I never would have thought of putting together. Thank you so much for sharing!
Wow!! First time having lentil without tomato sauce on pasta and we loved it!! Great great dish!! Used canned lentils but would use dried next time. Used very good quality chicken stock. Didn't have any celery, so used red bell pepper. Thanks so much stardustannie! :)