Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe years ago, I don't remember where. It is a lovely dish for entertaining your vegetarian friends, and the leftovers keep well if you're flying solo. The roasted tofu is very versatile and also works well in salads, stir-fries, and many other dishes. Cook time is estimated and reflects the minimum marinating and cooling times for the tofu. This dish is vegan if you omit the parmesan cheese.
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, pressed and cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 12 ounces spinach, rinsed, stemmed and torn
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- grated parmesan cheese, to taste (optional)
- FOR TOFU:.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine soy sauce or tamari and sesame oil in a medium bowl.
- Stir cubed tofu into mixture and toss to coat. Marinate at least 20 minutes, up to 2 hours.
- Spread tofu in a single layer in a baking dish. Bake 25 minutes, or until golden brown all over, tossing with spatula halfway through cook time.
- Let tofu cool, up to 24 hours.
- FOR PENNE AND VEGGIES:.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add red pepper and saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add spinach, vegetable stock and salt and cover pan. Cook about 2 minutes, until spinach is wilted but still bright green.
- Uncover, stir in tofu and continue to cook on low heat, stirring often, while the penne cooks.
- Drain pasta and stir in tofu and veggies.
- Top with grated parmesan if desired.
This was great. My family loved it. I upped the olive oil, garlic and red pepper flake (basically like making spaghetti garlic & oil) and didn't 'stem' the spinach. This is a keeper.
Did not enjoy this at all. Too much pasta...not enough flavour. Would not make again.
Fairly simple to do - burnt the tofu first time round! but second attempt was better. I used quite a bit of cheese - and had to use tinned spinach due to a lack of fresh spinach - but seemed to work ok! Thanks