1/1 Photo of Penne With Roasted Pepper Marinara Sauce
Vino Girl's Note:
This is a nice recipe for when you are in the mood for marinara, yet want something a little different. This does make a lot of sauce - we like that, but if you don't you might want to add more pasta. When I made this I used whole wheat rontini instead of penne, and I increased the red pepper flakes. From Cooking Light (March 2001).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups uncooked penne (cooked according to package to make about 6 cups)
- 1Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- 2Add onion and garlic; sauté for 6 minutes or until tender.
- 3Add bell peppers and the next 5 ingredients (bell peppers through tomatoes); bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Remove from heat; stir in oil.
- 6Serve over pasta.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Roasted Pepper Marinara Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.0
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1036.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 5.9 g