Recipe by Vino Girl
This is a nice recipe for when you are in the mood for marinara, yet want something a little different. This does make a lot of sauce - we like that, but if you don't you might want to add more pasta. When I made this I used whole wheat rontini instead of penne, and I increased the red pepper flakes. From Cooking Light (March 2001).
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups uncooked penne (cooked according to package to make about 6 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté for 6 minutes or until tender.
- Add bell peppers and the next 5 ingredients (bell peppers through tomatoes); bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in oil.
- Serve over pasta.