Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great recipe from the garlic festival. Cooking time doesn't include roasting the garlic
- 1 small baking potato
- 4 garlic, bulbs
- 7 ounces olive oil
- 2 bunches fresh basil
- 1 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley
- 14 ounces penne pasta
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile rinse the potato (skin on) and bring to a boil in a large pot with salted water. Reduce heat and let simmer until 3 quarters cooked about 10 minute Drain and let cool in colander.
- Place the garlic bulbs unpeeled in shallow roasting pan and drizzle the olive oil liberally over them. Bake in oven for 40 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool.
- Coarsely chop the herbs and potato, then transfer to a mortar (or food processor). Press out each clove of the cooled garlic into a bowl to produce a sticky puree. Transfer to the mortar. Gradually add olive oil (use some of the infused oil from the pan) and seasoning. Grind with the pestal until the pesto reaches a rough, spreading consistency.
- Bring a large heavy saucepan of salted water to a boil and cook penne until al dente approx 8-10 minutes dependning on the quality.
- Drain the cooked pasta and place in large bowl. Add the pesto and toss the ingredients together to coat pasta. Season to taste.