Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another quick dinner idea from Eating Well magazine (Feb-March 2005).
- 453.59 g whole wheat penne
- 1 head radicchio, torn into 1 inch pieces
- 118.29 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 9.85 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 907.18 g rotisserie broiler-fryer chickens, skin discarded,meat removed from bones and shredded
- 59.14 ml balsamic vinegar
- fresh ground pepper
- 59.14 ml chopped walnuts
- Cook pasta until just tender, 8- 10 minutes.
- Drain and reserve 1/4 cup of cooking liquid.
- Cook radicchio in this liquid over medium heat until it wilts (2- 3 minutes).
- Stir in pasta, 2 tablesppons parmesan,.
- oil, vinegar, chicken, and pepper and cook for 1- 2 minutes.
- Garnish with walnuts and reserved cheese.
I thought this was just ok. I had to substitute chard instead of the radicchio since that's what I had. The proportions seemed to be very off - one rotisserie chicken had too much meat for 8 oz of penne, and there definitely wasn't enough chard in one bunch. Also, the balsamic vinegar made it very sweet. I don't think I'll be making this one again, though the kids seemed to like it ok.
This was incredible. We had my neighbor over for dinner, who never eats anything "good for him". However, he absolutely loved this. I used those fancy glazed walnuts and a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. The crunch of the Radicchio was not only great for texture, but for color as well. I love whole wheat pasta and feel good about giving it to my family. We sprinkled extra fresh grated parmesan cheese on the top at the table. Mm!