Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
We had this the other night as our main course and it was absolutely yummy, but it would be great also as a side dish with a beef or pork-based entree.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb penne
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 sweet red peppers, roasted, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons black olives, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, shredded
- Trim the cauliflower and break into florets.
- In a large bowl, toss the cauliflower with 1 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast the cauliflower in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cooked through and lightly browned.
- Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Add the pasta and cook until tender but firm.
- Drain well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Whisk in the remaining 1 tablespoons olive oil.
- Toss the dressing with the cauliflower, peppers, olives, basil and pasta.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve at room temperature.
I really enjoyed this! I didn't have penne, so I used linguine and served mine right away, which was really nice because the nutty flavor in the cauliflower came out strong, and the pasta was nicely coated in the oily dressing. I poured slivered almonds in the pan to roast right along with the cauliflower, and about 20 minutes was probably all I needed with my oven. This meal comes together very easily and satisfies completely. I meant to make a green salad to compliment it, but after eating the main meal I'm glad I didn't bother!