Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
easy to make, and tastes like you put a lot of effort into it. I found the recipe in the Chicago Sun-Times, and modified it a little. You can easily substitute some other kind of pasta for the penne, and add or subtract other ingredients. Adding meat would make it a more complete meal, but it's pretty filling without.
- 7 -8 ounces multi-grain whole wheat penne
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup prepared pesto sauce
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook penne according to directions, about 9 minutes for al dente.
- In a medium-size saucepan, simmer cream over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced by a third. Remove from heat and stir in the pesto sauce and sun-dried tomatoes. Let stand a little to let the sauce thicken, if desired.
- When the penne is cooked, drain well and add the cream sauce. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat the pasta well with the sauce.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with the cheese, if desired.