This recipe originates from "Geranio" in Alexandria, VA. It is very important to use a high quality beef stock to get the richness in the dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, assorted types (oyster, crimini, shiitake)
- kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- 8 ounces pancetta, thinly sliced then coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 lb penne rigate
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated, divided
- 1Bring the broth and wine to a boil in a medium heavy saucepan over medium-high heat and cook until reduced to 1 cup, 15 to 18 minutes.
- 2Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a plate.
- 3Add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil to the skillet. Add the pancetta and saute until the pancetta begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the wine reduction, butter, and herbs. Simmer until the liquid thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until almost tender but still firm to the bite. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- 5Stir the pasta and 1/2 cup cheese into the mushroom mixture. Stir over medium-high heat, adding water by tablespoonfuls if dry, until pasta is aldente and the sauce thickens and clings to the pasta, about 5 minutes.Taste, and if necessary, add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a large bowl and sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Pancetta, Sage, and Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 565.3
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 45.2 mg
- Sodium 265.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 18.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: