Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Originates from Spoodles at Disney's Boardwalk Resort, Orlando, Florida. Adapted for my family's taste.
- 4 ounces pancetta or 4 ounces bacon, diced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (14 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces penne, cooked
- shaved romano cheese or parmesan cheese
- Over medium heat, fry pancetta in hot oil in a large pot until crisp; transfer pancetta to papertowel lined plates to let drain.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings in the pot.
- Saute onions in drippings for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook/stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, salt, and peppers; stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Add penne; stir and cook until heated through.
- Sprinkle with pancetta.
- Sprinkle with Romano or Parmesan cheese.
Sounds like an Amatriciana Sauce.