Recipe by Lainey39
This is a hearty pasta dish and it is meat-free. Recipe is from Rachael Ray's magazine.
Top Review by Meguin
Very delicious and fast! I will definitely make this again! My boyfriend is vegetarian and it is hard to find recipes using ingredients I have around the house. I also couldn't find a cubanelle pepper, so I used an orange pepper. I used everything else though! The basil leaves made for great presentation; I sliced one huge one for each serving, and topped it with a little more cheese. My only complaint is that the sauce was too runny for my tastes. I added some cornstarch mixed in with cold broth in the last minute. There was still a lot of sauce at the bottom of my bowls; it was a good thing we had bread to sop up all that deliciousness!
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 celery ribs, from the heart chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, quartered
- 1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, to pass around table
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Drain and return the pasta to the pot.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large, deep skillet, heat the extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the celery and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, peppers, carrot, garlic and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the wine and boil for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and chicken broth or vegetable broth, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the 1 cup cheese and half of the sauce into the pasta.
- Serve in shallow bowls, topped with the remaining sauce and the basil.
- Pass extra cheese at the table.