Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a hearty pasta dish and it is meat-free. Recipe is from Rachael Ray's magazine.
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 celery ribs, from the heart chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, quartered
- 1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, to pass around table
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, chopped
- Bring large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Drain and return the pasta to the pot.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large, deep skillet, heat the extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the celery and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, peppers, carrot, garlic and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the wine and boil for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and chicken broth or vegetable broth, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the 1 cup cheese and half of the sauce into the pasta.
- Serve in shallow bowls, topped with the remaining sauce and the basil.
- Pass extra cheese at the table.
Very delicious and fast! I will definitely make this again! My boyfriend is vegetarian and it is hard to find recipes using ingredients I have around the house. I also couldn't find a cubanelle pepper, so I used an orange pepper. I used everything else though! The basil leaves made for great presentation; I sliced one huge one for each serving, and topped it with a little more cheese. My only complaint is that the sauce was too runny for my tastes. I added some cornstarch mixed in with cold broth in the last minute. There was still a lot of sauce at the bottom of my bowls; it was a good thing we had bread to sop up all that deliciousness!
This was wonderful pasta and sauce! I couldnt find a cubanelle pepper so I used a yellow bell pepper, vegetable broth, and omitted the chopped basil leaves. I think this would be great with regular pasta if you dont care for whole wheat but we did enjoy the change of pace. Definitely add the extra cheese after serving. Thank you Lainey for a great meal! Made and reviewed for the Special Ingredient Tag Game.
Great recipe. I left out the wine, since we didn't have any at home, but other than that, I did everything according to the recipe. I will defitely cook this again, it's something for the whole family to enjoy! Thank you!