Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Cooking Light. Serving size: 1 cup. Per serving: 301 calories, 7.1 g fat, 10.4 g protein, 49.4 g carb, 3.1 g fiber, 16 mg cholesterol.
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot cooked penne rigate
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion, celery, and carrot; stir/saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste; cook 2 minutes, stirring continually.
- Add in wine; cook for 10 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
- Stir in thyme, pepper, and consomme; bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 3 minutes).
- Strain through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids; keep consomme mixture warm.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add in mushrooms; stir/saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in consomme mixture; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Combine water and cornstarch, add to mushroom mixture along with salt; bring to a boil.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Combine pasta and sauce; tossing gently to coat.