Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh white mushrooms, chopped fine preferably in a food processor
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon medium-dry sherry
- 3 cloves garlic, minced and mashed to a paste
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 lb penne rigate
- In a 6 qt kettle, bring 5 qt water to boil for pasta.
- In a 10-12 inch non-stick skillet heat 1 tbl oil and saute mushrooms with worcestershire sauce and sherry, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- In a food processor, puree mushroom mixture with garlic, pine nuts, parmesan and remaining 3 tbl oil.
- Add parsley and blend until parley is chopped fine.
- (Pesto will keep surface covered with plastic wrap, chilled, 1 week) Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente.
- Reserve 1 cup cooking water, and drain pasta.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pesto with 2/3 cup reserved hot cooking water.
- Add pasta and toss well, thinning pesto if necessary with remaining reserved cooking water.