Recipe by Gaelige Coinnaigh
The National Pasta Association and the Culinary Institute of America awarded chef Michael Garnero of Saltwater NY grand prize for this recipe. Absolutely delish!
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 -6 ounces virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 -2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb mushroom, quartered
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1 lb broccoli floret
- 1 large fennel, cut in strips
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 lb ricotta salata
Directions See How It's Made
- Parcook broccoli and fennel for 3-4 minutes in salted water, drain well.
- Cook the pasta until almost tender; drain well.
- Over medium heat, sauté garlic, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes in olive oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add red pepper and mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add cooked broccoli, fennel and fresh thyme.
- and continue to cook. Add the cooked pasta, half of the parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
- Portion pasta into heated bowls and garnish the tops with grated ricotta salata and chopped parsley.