Recipe by PennyG
This is from Lighthearted Everyday Cooking, by Anne Lindsay. It is one of my favorite, quick pasta meals to make during the week. Hope you like it.
Top Review by Outta Here
Quick and easy! I used Sweet Italian Turkey sausages and stirred the parsley in with the other herbs so it would cook a little. This recipe lends itself to additions, such as mushrooms and maybe shredded mozzarella. Thanks for a keeper. Made for Fall 2012 PAC game.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces tomatoes, undrained and coursely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped (I don't always use)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink in centre, about 15 to 20 minutes. (I boil first to get rid of some of the fat).
- Drain well; cut into thin round slices.
- In large pot of boiling water, cook pasta until tender but firm; drain and return to pot.
- In nonstick pan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onions until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, basil and oregano;.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add cooked sausage.
- pour over pasta; toss to mix.
- Sprinkle with parsley, pepper to taste and parmesan if using.
- toss again and serve.