Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful recipe with carbs that will give you longer lasting energy!
- 200 g penne pasta
- 3 -4 cups water, to boil pasta
- 8 medium tomatoes, washed,peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled,washed and chopped
- 1 leek, washed,ends trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, washed,ends trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, washed,halved,de-seeded and cut into 1/2 inch sized cubes
- 3 -5 leaves fresh basil, washed in cold water and reserved for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups maggi vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons mixed dried herbs (basil, thyme, chives and oregano)
- Boil the pasta in a large pot containing about 4 cups of water.
- Cook until al dente.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- Drain the water out of the pot.
- Wasg pasta under cold running water.
- Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Toss in the bay leaf.
- After a few seconds, add the onion.
- Saute till translucent.
- Add the leek and celery.
- Stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Toss in the tomatoes.
- Saute for a few minutes.
- Stir in the veg.
- Cook on high heat for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Cook on a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Puree the tomato mixture in the blender.
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Add the whole wheat flour.
- Cook on medium flame for 2-3 minutes and stir continuously.
- Stir in the milk, slowly and continuously, to avoid the formation of lumps.
- Cook on low flame until you have a thick sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper powder.
- Add the pureed tomato sauce, bell pepper and the boiled penne pasta.
- Heat thoroughly.
- Stir in the mixed dried herbs.
- Garnish with basil leaves.
- Serve hot.