1/2 Photos of Penne With Grilled Tuna and Crisp- Fried Capers
The fried capers add a nice unexpected touch--be sure to save the butter drained from them for another use, such as flavoring vegetables. I dipped some bread in it and that proved quite tasty, too. Watch the tuna closely---the chunks are easy to overcook, in which case they will be dry. -Adapted from License to Grill
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup capers
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 lbs tuna, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 12 ounces penne or 12 ounces other dry pasta, of your choice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 1In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the capers and butter and bring to a simmer; the pan should be big enough so the capers can move around and fry freely, which will take 10-12 minutes (they should be golden brown and crispy when they are finished).
- 2Drain off remaining butter and put the capers on a paper towel to drain.
- 3While the capers are cooking, thread the tuna chunks on skewers, brush with the vegetable oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Place the skewers on the grill over a medium-hot fire and cook for 3-4 minutes per side (to check for doneness cut into one of the chunks--it should be pink but not red in the center).
- 5Remove from grill and let cool until they are cool enough to slide off the skewers.
- 6In the meantime, bring 4 quarts of salted water to boil in a large pot over high heat; add the pasta, return to boil and cook for 8-10 minutes, until pasta is tender but not mushy.
- 7Drain and place in a large bowl.
- 8Add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, grilled tuna and salt and pepper to taste; add capers, toss well, and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Grilled Tuna and Crisp- Fried Capers
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1066.0
- Calories from Fat 603
- Total Fat 67.0 g
- Saturated Fat 21.6 g
- Cholesterol 125.6 mg
- Sodium 417.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 47.0 g