Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nice hearty meal for any time of year. Adapted from a recipe in a cooking magazine.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 large eggplant, slice 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- In large saucepan, saute garlic in 1 Tbl oil for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook 5 minutes. Add wine, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While sauce is simmering, grill chicken and eggplant, brushing them with the remaining 2 Tbl oil, 6-10 minutes or until done, turning once.
- Cut chicken and eggplant into 1 inch pieces and add to tomato mixture. Add basil and oregano. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Cook penne pasta in boiling salted water until aldente, about 15 minutes.
- Top cooked pasta with sauce and sprinkle with parmesan.
This was very good. Made as written and I will make it again. Thanks!
I am with sugarpea, we loved this dish. The chicken and eggplant were grilled on the George Forman while the sauce simmered. Regular dice cut tomatoes were used instead of the fire roasted. Something I will make again.
Love it when chicken breasts are NOT overcooked. Delicious meal, KelBel.