Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Blue cheese may be substituted if you cannot find gorganzola. I used the crumbles and it worked great. We loved the contrast of the creamy sauce and the crunch of the walnuts.
- 1 lb penne, with ridges
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1⁄2 cup ham, diced (optional)
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped finely
- 8 ounces gorgonzola
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Cook the pasta in boiling water until firm but tender.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter and oil.
- Add the sage, ham, shallots, and walnuts, and cook over medium until the ham begins to brown and the shallots become tender and translucent.
- Add milk, cream, and gorgonzola, and stir and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add the nutmeg and Parmesan, and toss with cooked pasta.
- Top with more Parmesan.