Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cucina Rustica—Penne al Pomodoro Arrichito
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 16 roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 10 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb imported penne
- grated parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in a skillet; add in onion; cook over low heat until soft and translucent.
- Add in tomatoes; cook until they begin to give up their juice and become saucy.
- Add in the wine, basil, salt, and pepper to taste; continue cooking until the sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente.
- Drain pasta in a colander; return pasta to cooking pot; add in sauce; heat penne and sauce together over high heat just until the pasta absorbs some of the sauce.
- Serve immediately in a shallow serving bowl; pass the Parmesan cheese around the table.