From Cooking Light March 2006
Make and share this Penne With Eggplant (Aubergine) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne or 1 (16 ounce) package ziti pasta or 1 (16 ounce) packagerice penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cubed eggplants
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (26 ounce) jar fat free pasta sauce
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded parmesan cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups Italian cheese blend, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add eggplant and onion; sauté 8 minutes or until onion is browned.
- Stir in garlic; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and pasta sauce; bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat, and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in basil.
- Toss eggplant mixture with pasta.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese; toss gently.
- Top evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.