Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Quick, simple, creamy, and delicious! Serve with sliced tomatoes with balsamic vinegar and broiled zucchini with herbs for an unforgettable meal!
- 10 ounces fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped (Toast walnuts in a single layer on an unoiled baking tray in a oven at 350* for about 5 minutes, unt)
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb penne (tubular pasta)
- 1 head broccoli
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a large covered pot of water to a rapid boil.
- While the water heats, wash the spinach and transfer it to a separate large pot.
- The water clinging to the leaves should provide enough moisture to steam it.
- Cover and cook the spinach on medium-high heat for about 4 minutes, until wilted but still bright green.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the spinach, walnuts, cottage cheese, garlic, Parmesan, basil, and salt and puree until smooth, working in batches if necessary.
- Add pepper to taste and set aside.
- When the water boils, stir in the pasta, cover, and return to a boil.
- Then uncover the pot and cook until the pasta is al dente, about 7 minutes.
- While the pasta cooks, cut the broccoli into spears, blanch it in boiling water to cover until just tender, about 5 minutes, and set it aside.
- Drain the pasta and serve immediately in individual warmed bowls, topped with spinach-walnut sauce and several steamed broccoli spears.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if you wish.
This was easy to make in the blender. If you like to taste the walnuts, I would recommend adding after the blender. I reduced the spinach, bcz I didn't realize it would all be blended in (kids!) I used 1 T dried basil. It didn't say to warm the blender mixture, so I poured it into a pan and warmed with some cooked, chopped chicken. It was very good. We had the broccoli on the side.
this was wonderful, and easy to prepare. i used ricotta cheese, and omitted the broccoli.very nice sauce