Recipe by HeatherFeather
Adapted from Southern Living. The type of sausage you need is the kind that comes in a long link that you can slice into thin rounds. You may use any flavor of smoked sausage you like - you may even use a chicken or turkey sausage if you prefer.
- 1 lb spicy smoked sausage, sliced into rounds (such as a spicy Kielbasa)
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, as needed
- 2 (10 ounce) packagesfrozen collard greens, chopped, thawed, drained very well
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canschunky tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano, undrained
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked & drained
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pasta according to package directions and plan to have it cooked& ready to go by the end of the cooking process.
- Brown sausage slices in a large deep pot until browned on each side; remove sausage slices from the pan and drain off any fat.
- Add oil to the same pot, heat over medium briefly, then add garlic and mushrooms, stirring constantly until mushrooms are tender (be careful not to burn the garlic)- this will take only a few minutes.
- Return the sausage slices to the pan along with collards, Italian seasoning, and tomatoes with their juices.
- Cook, stirring as needed, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss well.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled over each serving to taste.