My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef (or a combination of ground beef, ground pork, and ground veal, from your butcher)
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pinches allspice (the secret ingredient)
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion
- 1 cup fat free low-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lb penne (or rigatoni)
- grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1In a deep large skillet, brown the meat seasoned with pepper, over med-high heat.
- 2Add in garlic, crushed red pepper, and allspice.
- 3Grate the onion, using a hand-held grater, directly over the pan.
- 4Cook another 3-5 minutes to soften the onion.
- 5Add in broth and wine; give the pan a good shake(or stir); scrape up any good bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 6Add in tomatoes and parsley; give the pan another good shake (or stir).
- 7Decrease heat to low and simmer while you cook the pasta (cook pasta according to package directions until al dente; drain in colander).
- 8Toss meat sauce with pasta; top with grated cheese.
- 9Serve with green salad and bread.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Classic Bolognese Meat Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 727.9
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 506.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.5 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 31.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat free low-sodium beef broth