Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 lb ground beef (or a combination of ground beef, ground pork, and ground veal, from your butcher)
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pinches allspice (the secret ingredient)
- 1⁄2 medium Spanish onion
- 1 cup fat free low-sodium beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lb penne (or rigatoni)
- grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- In a deep large skillet, brown the meat seasoned with pepper, over med-high heat.
- Add in garlic, crushed red pepper, and allspice.
- Grate the onion, using a hand-held grater, directly over the pan.
- Cook another 3-5 minutes to soften the onion.
- Add in broth and wine; give the pan a good shake(or stir); scrape up any good bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add in tomatoes and parsley; give the pan another good shake (or stir).
- Decrease heat to low and simmer while you cook the pasta (cook pasta according to package directions until al dente; drain in colander).
- Toss meat sauce with pasta; top with grated cheese.
- Serve with green salad and bread.
It was fast, easy and great. I used it to make lasagna . My uncle who is very critical gave it and 11 PLUS on a scale of 1-10. I did add alittle more red pepper flakes and my pinches of allspice were generous as I had to crush 6 whole ones to make the 2 pinches.
This was a nice easy recipe to put together. I followed the recipe exactly, but I did use Barilla Plus penne pasta. I did feel this recipe was missing something..I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe next time I will put a full tsp of the red pepper flakes to give it more oomph.