Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe makes a lot, so is good for casual entertaining. It is too big for my family alone, so I often freeze half the sauce for a later meal.
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g fresh chicken sausage, removed from casing and crumbled or 453.59 g smoked chicken sausage, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml garlic, crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 226.79 g mushroom, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 (793.78 g) can diced tomatoes
- 425.24 g can tomato sauce
- 14.79 ml dried basil or 44.37 ml fresh basil, chopped
- 9.85 ml dried oregano
- 44.37 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 2.46 ml hot pepper flakes, more to taste
- salt and pepper
- 737.08 g dry penne pasta
- Heat oil in large skillet and saute sausage, onions, carrot, and garlic. Cook until sausage is done lightly browned and carrots are tender.
- Add peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms, continue to saute until tender.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce, and seasonings. Simmer until thick.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot of water to rolling boil. Add pasta and cook al dente.
- Drain pasta, place in large serving bowl. Add sauce, and toss to combine. Serve hot with parmesan cheese.
This was absolutely delicious! My whole family loved it.