Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe makes a lot, so is good for casual entertaining. It is too big for my family alone, so I often freeze half the sauce for a later meal.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb fresh chicken sausage, removed from casing and crumbled or 1 lb smoked chicken sausage, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes, more to taste
- salt and pepper
- 26 ounces dry penne pasta
- Heat oil in large skillet and saute sausage, onions, carrot, and garlic. Cook until sausage is done lightly browned and carrots are tender.
- Add peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms, continue to saute until tender.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce, and seasonings. Simmer until thick.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot of water to rolling boil. Add pasta and cook al dente.
- Drain pasta, place in large serving bowl. Add sauce, and toss to combine. Serve hot with parmesan cheese.
This was absolutely delicious! My whole family loved it.