Recipe by Gillian Spence
I made this recipe because I love a similar dish at Macaroni Grill. This dish is in a creamy, delightfully heavy sauce made with Parmesan cheese flavored with rosemary and thyme. I've kept it simple with pre-cooked chicken so after you've impressed the pants off of your boyfriend, you'll have plenty of time left to figure out what to do with him!
FOR THE SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons marsala wine
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 6 ounces parmesan-romano cheese mix
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces prosciutto, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) package grilled chicken breast strips
- 8 -10 large shrimp, raw
- 1 (16 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 10 -12 sun-dried tomatoes (NOT the oil-packed variety)
- 2 cups penne rigate, cooked (1/2 lb. uncooked)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in hot water for 30 minutes (while cooking sauce).
- Drain, and slice into thin strips.
- Prepare sauce by melting butter in a large saucepan over medium/low heat. Add garlic and cook slowly until it just starts to brown. Add the prosciutto & shrimp and turn heat to high. Saute till meat is crisp and shrimp are browned. Spoon out shrimp; and add the Marsala and cook until sauce reduces by half. Add ingredients up to (including) cayenne pepper. Whisk until smooth, simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Add the cooked shrimp, chicken, artichokes and sun dried tomatoes to the sauce. Stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 500º. Pour into a 9 x 13 dish (or other very large shallow dish). Sprinkle with remaining cheese and paprika. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until top is lightly browned.