Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a modified, kicked-up version of a Monterey Chicken recipe I made one time. Prep and cook times are approximate.
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise, and sliced to desired thickness
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (and seeded if desired)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 3 green onions, tops thinly sliced
- Over medium heat, cook bacon until semi-crisp, reserving drippings.
- Drain bacon on paper towels and crumble when cool.
- Sauté sliced chicken in bacon drippings until no longer pink.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the butter and cook onion, peppers and garlic until just tender.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 3/4 cup of the broth, and the milk. Cook and stir until bubbly.
- Stir in cheese and sour cream; then add the chicken and crumbled bacon to the sauce.
- Reheat, stirring to melt cheese, but do no allow to boil to avoid separation. If the sauce is too thick, add the remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth and/or a little more milk.
- Serve over cooked penne pasta and sprinkle with chopped green onions before serving.
This recipe isn't for me. I made this for the first time and didn't make any changes at all. I think the idea of southwestern style pasta dish just isn't for me. The sauce itself, looked more like soup, and probably would have tasted better as a soup. It is spicy, but was missing something. This is just my opinion, a lot of people enjoyed it like my husband. Sauce doesn't taste like a pasta sauce, but a soupy sauce. I won't make this anymore, it was a disappointment.
This was so flavorful with just the right amount of kick. I had everything prepped and ready to go (as suggested by other reviews). I added 1 large jalapeno and left the cayenne pepper out. It was perfect for us. I also doubled the garlic and used half and half because my milk was only 1%. This makes a ton, we had it again last night and there is still some left over. (all three of us are light eaters). Thank you Patrish for posting such a yummy recipe! Will definitely make again! :)
Really great! I used 5 slices of pancetta instead of bacon, which gave a really nice flavor. Served over rice instead of penne, but I think it would be fantastic either way! Thanks!