This is a modified, kicked-up version of a Monterey Chicken recipe I made one time. Prep and cook times are approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise, and sliced to desired thickness
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (and seeded if desired)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 3 green onions, tops thinly sliced
- 1Over medium heat, cook bacon until semi-crisp, reserving drippings.
- 2Drain bacon on paper towels and crumble when cool.
- 3Sauté sliced chicken in bacon drippings until no longer pink.
- 4Remove from pan and set aside.
- 5In the same skillet, add the butter and cook onion, peppers and garlic until just tender.
- 6Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- 7Add 3/4 cup of the broth, and the milk. Cook and stir until bubbly.
- 8Stir in cheese and sour cream; then add the chicken and crumbled bacon to the sauce.
- 9Reheat, stirring to melt cheese, but do no allow to boil to avoid separation. If the sauce is too thick, add the remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth and/or a little more milk.
- 10Serve over cooked penne pasta and sprinkle with chopped green onions before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Chicken in Creamy Pepper Jack Cheese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.7
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 68.4 mg
- Sodium 345.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 23.4 g