1/2 Photos of Penne With Chicken and Fresh Herb Sauce
This recipe is adapted from cooking pleasures magazine. Please use fresh herbs in this, dried just won't give the intended result. Originally, this was entered as a private recipe until basil came into season and I was able to try it myself. I just made this for dinner tonight, and it was really good. Although the garlic sounds like a lot, I could barely taste it, so don't be afraid to of the amount called for. This sauce is fairly mild, so I'd advise tasting it as it's warming, and adding whatever you think will please your family's tastes. After sampling this recipe once, I plan to make it again with different herbs, as they are in season. One combination that comes to mind in basil, thyme and organo. Please note any combinations you try in your review, so that we all have a dish that's not just for the middle of the summer. Last note, this calls for making the sauce in a blender - I can't find mine so I used the food processor, which worked perfectly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup tarragon leaf
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 3/4 cup fresh chives, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 6 ounces penne pasta
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- season salt and pepper
- cooking spray
- paprika (optional)
- 1 sprig fresh basil (optional)
- 1Bring a saucepan of water to a boil.
- 2Add fresh herbs and garlic to water, and cook for a few seconds, until herbs turn brighter green. Remove and drain.
- 3Place herbs and garlic in a blender or food processor with ricotta, broth, salt, and peppers.
- 4Blend until smooth.
- 5Heat grill.
- 6Cook penne according to package directions.
- 7Drain pasta, and place in serving platter.
- 8While chicken and pasta cook, transfer sauce to a saucepan, heat over medium low heat until chicken and pasta are ready.
- 9Season chicken with season salt and pepper. Coat with cooking spray if necessary.
- 10Grill over medium fire, turning once, 8-10 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through.
- 11Remove chicken to cutting board, and let rest until until sauce and pasta are done.
- 12Slice chicken.
- 13Arrange pasta and chicken on a serving platter.
- 14Spoon warmed sauce over pasta and chicken.
- 15If using, garnish with fresh basil sprigs, and sprinkle paprika over the finished dish.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Chicken and Fresh Herb Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.5
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 68.4 mg
- Sodium 243.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 34.0 g